Connecticut Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale
The buying and selling of a motorized vehicle/vessel between a private vendor and purchaser is completed by a Connecticut motor vehicle/vessel sale document (Form H-31). A sale document is a receipt or transaction proof that shows the purchase price, the state of the vehicle/vessel, and all of the parties' personal information. 

When registering and titling the automobile/boat in their name with the Connecticut Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), a new possessor will be asked to produce a signed bill of sale, as well as numerous additional documents.

Vehicle registration requirements

All cars that operate on public Connecticut highways regularly have to be documented with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Within sixty days of establishing residency, recent dwellers who moved their automobile from a different state have to register it with the DMV. After receiving a notice of expiration from the DMV, all documentations have to be renewed every two years. Renewals can be completed through the DMV's Self-Service system.

Where Can I Register My Vehicle? 

Automobiles have to be documented physically at a Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) location. All visits/trips to the DMV must be scheduled in advance via the DMV's virtual website.

Documents Needed

  • Sale Document (Form H-31);

  • Prototype Documentation of Title (make use of the Application for Substitution/Replacement Certificate of Title if yours has been misplaced or ruined); 

  • Disclosure Statement of Odometer (Federal Form);

  • Only for out-of-state titles, an official emission check from a recognized test center is required.

  • Application for Documentation and Certificate of Title (Form H-13B) must be completed in its entirety.

  • An acceptable ID or Connecticut Driver's License  

  • Fees for registration (prices may differ);

  • The evidence of insurance with a minimum of the requirements below: 

    • Each person is entitled to $25,000 for physical harm; 

    • $50,000 for each accident involving physical wound; 

    • $25,000 assigned for the destruction of belongings for each accident;

  • If an agent intends to represent the car owner in matters of titling or registration, a motor vehicle power of attorney is required.

Boat registration requirements

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires all mechanized watercraft and automated vessels with a dimension of 19.5 feet or above to be registered. Before launching a vessel purchased through a private sale, the recent possessor has the responsibility of documenting and naming the vessel in their name.

Registrations after January 1st are effective through April 30th of the next year. When your license is about to expire, the DMV will send you a reminder to renew it. The completed renewal form has to be brought to a close by the DMV site or mailed to the address specified on the reminder by the vessel's owner.

Where Should I Register?

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires that all eligible watercraft be documented. The DMV's resources are only offered by appointment, which can be planned/obtained through their website.

Documents Needed

  • Bill of sale document (Form H-31);

  • Proof of Payment of Sales and Use Tax;

  • Boat Documentation and Certificate of Number or Decal (Form B-148);

  • Connecticut Driver’s License or Valid ID;

  • Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin or Out-of-State Title/Registration; and

  • Documentation charges (prices differ based on the boat's dimension).