Wisconsin Vehicle Bill of Sale
A Bill of Sale is a legal document that provides evidence of the transfer of ownership for a specific item or property. It includes transaction details such as the names and addresses of the buyer and seller, item description, condition (if relevant), sale price, and any warranties or guarantees.
Create documents in two simple steps
Generate Document Answer few questions to generate customized document
Pick Your Preference Create Secure account to E-Sign, Share, Print or Download
change of proprietorship of an automobile in the state. The bill of sale should include the purchaser's and vendor's contact details, a description of the car, and an outline of the transaction's conditions. Although the document is not necessary when selling a car, it can be useful for personal record-keeping or future permit applications.

Odometer Disclosure Statement - Wisconsin mandates that all transactions of automobiles more recent than the model year 2011 include a mileage disclosure statement. Wisconsin doesn't have a formal document for this aim, so the mileage must be entered in the assigned spot on the automobile's title.

Signature Requirements - The bill of sale should be signed by both the vendor and the purchaser.

Automobile registration

Residents of Wisconsin have to register automobiles that will be driven on Wisconsin highways. If the car is acquired from a dealership, the merchant will usually fulfill these tasks on the customer's behalf; but, in private-party sales, the purchaser must take affirmative efforts to document the automobile. Wisconsin does not specify a time limit for starting the registration procedure after buying a car, simply that it should be done "immediately." (Those who are awaiting the processing of registration applications can use a temporary tag until the procedure is finished.) Most automobile registrations are for a year, while some smaller vehicles, like motorbikes and mopeds, may be valid for two years. Following that, you can renew your registration virtually.

Where Should I Register?

Registration can be completed virtually with the DMV Public service for change of proprietorship in which an automobile vehicle titled in Wisconsin is being traded. (Except for the heaviest trucks and mobile homes, eMV Public is available for practically all automobiles.) Other types of sales require physical registration or by mail at any of the WI DOT Office sites.

Documents Needed 

  • The automobile's former owner's autograph is on the Certificate of Title. Form MV 2489 is also necessary if the title has any revisions or errors.

  • If you don't want to request virtually, you can fill out a Title and License Plate Application (Form MV1)

  • Although a bill of sale is not needed, it is highly advisable.

  • An acceptable driver's license or other kinds of picture identification

  • Evidence of insurance that satisfies the state's minimum prerequisites:

    • Twenty-five thousand US dollars for the physical injury or fatality of an individual 

    • Fifty thousand US dollars if more than an individual is injured or killed.

    • Ten thousand US dollars for the destruction of property.

  • If the car is encumbered by a lien at the period of transaction, a lien release is required.

  • A Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is required if the purchaser or vendor is represented by an agency.

  • All charges and taxes must be paid in full, including

    • The automobile type's registration costs

    • Municipal transactions tax in the county where the automobile is purchased

    • If you're driving an eligible car, you'll have to pay a wheel tax.

    • Charges for the title

    • A fuel premium is required if the vehicle is a hybrid or electric car.