Pennsylvania Vehicle Bill of Sale
A Bill of Sale is a legal document that provides evidence of the transfer of ownership for a specific item or property. It includes transaction details such as the names and addresses of the buyer and seller, item description, condition (if relevant), sale price, and any warranties or guarantees.
Create documents in two simple steps
Generate Document Answer few questions to generate customized document
Pick Your Preference Create Secure account to E-Sign, Share, Print or Download
A Pennsylvania motor vehicle bill of sale is a legal document that formalizes the contract between the vendor and purchaser. The form verifies details regarding and a document of a valid motor vehicle transaction in the state. It should include details on the vendor, the purchaser, the sale's nature, and the car itself. Authentication is necessary for this form, and it may be needed for documentation.

Odometer Disclosure Statement — Although Pennsylvania does not have a specific form for revealing a vehicle's mileage, it does require vendors to enter the odometer reading in a specified spot on the car's title. .

Automobile Registration

To drive on Pennsylvania roads, an automobile has to be registered. When you buy a car in Pennsylvania, the merchant will normally handle all of your titling and registration on your behalf. However, you will need to register by yourself if you bought the vehicle from a private party. Because practically all car proprietorship transfers in Pennsylvania must proceed through approved Department of Transportation agents, the representative will usually submit a new registration request along with the title exchange. Except for some types of trucks, which can only be registered for one year, first registration can be valid for one or two years. It is possible to renew your registration virtually.

Where Should I Register?

If you need to register your automobile, gather all of the necessary details and bring it to a PennDOT site close to you.

Documents Needed

  • A bill of sale document

  • An odometer disclosure statement, or a highlight of the mileage.

  • A document of title

    • The merchant will supply this if you buy a brand new vehicle.

    • If you're buying a vehicle with a Pennsylvania title or moving an automobile from another state to Pennsylvania, you'll need to fill out a form. MV-1 is not virtually accessible. The title exchange must be completed in cooperation with an authorized Department of Transportation representative, which includes most merchants and notaries. 

  • Unless for brand new cars bought from approved Pennsylvania merchants, a tracing or verification of the Vehicle Identification Number 

    • In some situations, the purchaser will be able to trace the Vehicle Identification Number by looking for the VIN plate and rubbing it with paper and a lead pencil.

  • If this is not feasible, get assistance from a qualified mechanic or a workshop to conclude the MV-41 form.

  • An acceptable driver's permit is required.

  • Evidence of auto insurance; the minimum insurance demands in Pennsylvania are as follows:

    • Fifteen thousand US dollars for a single person's demise or physical wound, 

    • A total of thirty thousand US dollars if there are several demise or physical injuries

    • Five thousand US dollars for the destruction of items/belongings

  • All taxes and charges must be paid in full, and the evidence presented.

    • The sales tax in Pennsylvania is 6% of the acquired price or fair market value, 7% in Alleghany County, and 8% in Philadelphia.

    • On Form MV-70S, you can see a charge schedule.

  • Within ten days of acquiring a secondhand car, the purchaser has to secure an authorized inspection sticker. Inspections can be done at approved inspection stations.

  • If you paid less than 80% of the fair market value for a car, you'll need a finalized Motor Vehicle Verification of Fair Market Value by the Issuing Representative (Form MV-3)

  • If you received the automobile as a gift, you must fill out an Affidavit of Gift (Form MV-13ST)

  • If you received the automobile as a gift, you must fill out an Affidavit of Gift (Form MV-13ST)

  • A tax status certification from the Tax Claim Bureau of the county where the automobile is located, or a Certification for Exemption, if the automobile is a mobile or manufactured home that has been fixed to the land in Pennsylvania.

  • A Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney Form is required whenever a representative is purchasing or trading a vehicle on behalf of another party.