Montana Vehicle Bill of Sale
A Bill of Sale is a legal document that provides evidence of the transfer of ownership for a specific item or property. It includes transaction details such as the names and addresses of the buyer and seller, item description, condition (if relevant), sale price, and any warranties or guarantees.
Create documents in two simple steps
Generate Document Answer few questions to generate customized document
Pick Your Preference Create Secure account to E-Sign, Share, Print or Download
To buy and sell a vehicle, a Montana motor vehicle bill of sale is drawn to show the legality of this transaction and prove that there has been a transfer of title of that vehicle. It contains vital details about the person buying the vehicle, the person selling it, and the object of sale; these are needed for the successful registration of the motor vehicle. This document must be approved by authorized persons

Mileage Declaration Form (Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form MV90-A)): This statement is to be submitted alongside the bill of sale and other documents for the registration of vehicles that are under 10 years old or weigh below 16,000 pounds.

The person buying the vehicle, as well as the person selling it, is required to imprint their signature on this form.

Montana Motor Vehicle Registration:

When a person newly acquires a motor vehicle, or in cases where the person is a new resident of the state and intends to move the car into the state, he/she is to register the car within 60 days of acquiring or moving the motor vehicle. Registrations can be valid for a year or two years, depending on the owner’s preference. If the car is up to, or more than eleven (11) years old, it can be permanently registered. When registration expires, renewals can be done online or physically by visiting any County Treasurer Motor Vehicle office.

Registration Center

To carry out initial registrations, the owner of the boat is to visit any County Treasurer Motor Vehicle office.

Registration Requirements For A Motor Vehicle

  • Proof of Purchase (which is a Bill of Sale form in this case);

  • Mileage Declaration Form (known as an Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form MV90-A);

  • A completely filled form applying to obtain a certificate for the transfer of title of a motor vehicle (this application should be made to the office of the county’s treasurer);

  • In cases where the certificate above is unavailable, the owner of the vehicle may apply for a replacement by sending a mail to the VSB(Vehicle Service Bureau);

  • A permit to drive as approved by the state of Montana;

  • In cases where someone else is registering the vehicle in place of the original owner of the vehicle, a Montana Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is required;

  • Payment of Registration Costs; and

  • A document confirming that the vehicle has been insured with Limited Coverages:

    • $20,000 for every accident that damages another’s property;

    • $25,000 for every accident that results in physical injury or loss of life to a person;

    • $50,000 for every accident that results in a physical injury of more than one person.